Every small business owner or entrepreneur needs to make sure their event planning is on point. However, many fail because they don’t know the basics of what it takes to plan an event and typically hire inexperienced professionals as a result. Here’s your guide on how you can become a master planner for every occasion with these simple steps.
The “event planner” is one of the most popular ways to make money. If you have a knack for planning events, this is something that you might want to consider.
You’ve come to the perfect spot if you’re considering a career as an event planner. This book will teach you all you need to know about becoming an event planner and the many career options accessible to you.
So, whether you’re just starting out in your profession or looking for a change, here’s everything you need to know about how to become an event planner.
Make a decision on the kind of event planner you want to be.
There are several sorts of event planners, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It’s important to examine your personal abilities and interests when deciding what kind of event planner you want to be.
Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs) are organizations that are not for profit.
Consider becoming a non-profit event planner if you are passionate about helping people and have excellent organizational abilities.
Nonprofit event planners are in charge of planning fundraising events as well as other special occasions for their organization. They often collaborate with volunteers and other members of the community to ensure that the event runs well.
Social Event Planning or Freelance Consulting
If you enjoy working with people and have a creative flair, Social Event Planning or Freelance Consulting may be the right choice. As a freelance consultant, you will be responsible for planning all aspects of a client’s event, from the initial brainstorming session to the final farewell party.
You will be responsible for arranging social events such as weddings, birthday parties, charity galas, and corporate events as a social event planner.
Planner of Corporate Events
If you are interested in event planning but do not want to work on a freelance basis, you may consider becoming a Planner of Corporate Events.
Planner of Corporate Eventss work for companies that need help organising events such as trade shows, product launches, and sales meetings. They often work with a team of vendors to ensure that the event goes off without a hitch.
What Are the Responsibilities of an Event Planner?
Before you can become an event planner, you must first learn about the responsibilities of the position. The pre-event, during-the-event, and post-event responsibilities of an event planner may be classified into three groups.
Prior to the Event: Responsibilities
Creating a timetable, arranging for food and event space, and organizing transportation are all examples of pre-event responsibilities.
- Creating a Timeline: A well-organized timeline is an event planner’s most critical tool. A decent timetable will include a list of all tasks that must be accomplished as well as when they must be finished. It will also provide all of the event’s participants’ contact information, from the caterer to the DJ.
- Catering and Event Space Planning: An event planner is in charge of catering and event space planning. Negotiating pricing with caterers, locating a location that suits the client’s expectations, and arranging for furniture and other equipment are all examples of this.
- Transporting Attendees and Vendors: Event planners are often in charge of arranging transportation for guests and vendors. Reserving buses or trains, using a shuttle service, or renting vehicles for the event are all options.
Responsibilities During the Event
Ensure that the event goes well, handle any crises, and ensure that all visitors have a nice time throughout the event.
- Ensure that the event goes off without a hitch: An event planner’s primary responsibility is to ensure that the event runs smoothly. This includes keeping track of the schedule, dealing with any difficulties that arise, and addressing any questions that visitors may have.
- Handling Emergencies: From a broken pipe to a food poisoning scare, an event planner must be prepared to manage any situation. To keep the event on schedule, they must be able to think on their feet and make rapid judgments.
- Ensure Attendees Have a Nice Time: Event planners are also in charge of making sure guests have a good time. This may include securing entertainment, coordinating events, and ensuring that the location is adequately adorned.
Eventtia’s professional event management software can assist with all of these critical details that might be difficult to keep track of.
Responsibilities Following the Event
Sending thank-you emails, generating a vendor list, and writing an event report are all part of the post-event chores.
- Thank-You Cards: After the event, an event planner must send thank-you notes to all attendees, vendors, and suppliers who contributed to the success of the event.
- Creating a Vendor List: An event planner must also create a list of all of the event’s vendors. Caterers, florists, DJs, and any other vendors who are utilized are included in this category.
- Finally, an event planner must produce a report on the event. From the beginning planning phases to the last goodbyes, this report will summarize everything that occurred throughout the event.
Getting Training and Experience
You’ll need expertise and training to work as an event planner. You may assist arrange local events as a volunteer or establish your own small-scale events. This will allow you to learn the ropes and determine if event planning is suited for you.
Get some training, second. Many online and community college event planning courses are available. These will teach you the fundamentals of event planning and equip you with the skills you’ll need to succeed.
Formal Training Completion
After you’ve gained some experience and training, you may choose to seek professional event planning training. You’ll be able to study from seasoned pros and get certification as an event planner as a result of this. Certificate programs, diploma programs, and degree programs are among the numerous forms of formal training accessible.
Make an online portfolio.
Building a portfolio is a great approach to show off your event planning abilities. Examples of your work should be included in your portfolio, such as event proposals, timetables, and thank-you cards. It may also incorporate photos from previous events that you’ve organized.
Obtain certification to work as an event planner.
You must be certified in order to operate as an event planner. The International Live Events Association is the leading certifying organization for event planners. You must pass an exam that covers all areas of event planning to become certified. You may begin working as an event planner after you have received your certification.
Participate in a Relevant Trade Organization
Becoming a member of a relevant trade organization is another approach to enhance your credentials as an event planner.
ISES, the Event Planners Association (EPA), and Meeting Professionals International are some of the most prominent organizations for event planners (MPI). Networking opportunities, continuing education classes, and job listings are all available via these organizations.
Begin your career as a certified event planner.
Once you have gained experience, training, and certification, you can start working as an event planner. There are many job opportunities available for certified event planners. You can find jobs with event planning companies, Non-Profit Organizations (NPOs) are organizations that are not for profit., or corporate event planning departments.
Event planning is a burgeoning business, and there are a variety of methods to get into it. Gaining experience and training is the best method to become an event planner. This may be accomplished via formal training, the development of a portfolio, certification, and membership in a relevant trade organization.
You may begin working as an event planner after gaining experience and ultimately obtaining certification.
The “how to become an event planner reddit” is a guide that will teach you the basics of how to plan events.
- how to become an event planner pdf
- how to become an event planner with no experience
- event coordinator
- event planning jobs
- event planner jobs